Sunday, October 16, 2011

Framed Inspiration- DIY "Distressed" Wood Frame

I have the most wonderful sister-in-law. We have the best time together and she is always there for me! So when she asked me to re-create a frame she wanted, I jumped at the chance! Lucky for me it was a pretty easy task. It turned out beautifully and would make a great holiday gift for someone special in your life too.
Materials:
Matte Modge Podge
Foam Brush
Ribbon of your choosing (wired for best results)
2 pieces of Scrapbook Paper (one for base and one for mating)
Black Photo Corners
Old costume jewelry or "specialty findings" (found in the craft store jewelry isle)
1 sheet Transparency paper (optional)
1 piece of craft wood (desired size: approx. 5x7" for a 4x6" photo, or 8x10" for a 5x7" photo)
Hot Glue and Hot Glue Gun

Instructions:
1. Cut the paper to fit the wood piece. Coat the back of the paper and the top of the wood with Modge Podge. Place paper on the wood and fold into creases along the edge. (If you have overhang glue it to the back and cover the seam with ribbon.) If you want to protect the paper or create a hard surface, cover the top of the scrapbook paper with Modge Podge as well. Make sure glue is totally dry before adding the other elements of the frame.

This frame was covered with Modge Podge to protect the paper surface.

2. Measure and cut the ribbon to fit the frame. Cut a second piece of  ribbon for the bow. Secure ribbon to the frame with a dab of hot glue on the back.                          
3.Cut the complementary piece of scrapbook paper to fit the picture with a 1/2" to 1" outline. Modge Podge the second piece of paper in the center of the frame, on top of the ribbon. 

4. Form bow and hot glue to the top of the frame. Then use hot glue to secure the jewelry piece in the center of the bow. *I did not use wired ribbon because I bought the wrong style ribbon. However, I would recommend it because it holds its shape better than regular ribbon.

5. Use self-adhesive black photo corners to secure photo to the center of the frame. *Tip* Put the corners on the photo first then place it on the frame. This will make it easier to get the corners in exactly the right spot without measuring. If using transparency paper  to protect the picture, cut to size and gently slide into photo corners over the picture.

To give you a better idea of what this should look like, I have some inspiration photos and my final product. I hope she loves them!
Inspiration 1
My final Product 1



Inspiration 2


My final Product 2

No comments:

Post a Comment