Tuesday, July 12, 2011

All this ottoman needs is a little TLC...Part 1

Hello friends! I know it has been a long time since my last blog but I have been very busy wrapping up the school year then traveling in Spain with my hubby's job. I have had a jam packed summer so far, but I have missed my blogging! I am still abroad but I just couldn't stay away any longer. Before I left I finally finished up an ottoman that I had been putting off for months and I am finally ready to share it with all of you! 

It all started on one of my fateful trips to my favorite place...Goodwill. I saw this stool and just knew it had to be mine, even though the wicker seat was broken and there were some small dents. Nothing I couldn't fix with a little wood filler and spray paint! So here is the stool as I bought it...
The last owner had covered the broken seat with a piece of plywood. The nails were sticking out and the wood didn't fit exactly...it had to go.

The lines of the piece were beautiful but it needed lots of TLC.

The first order of business was to remove the old plywood and see if the seat could be salvaged. I could have replaced the wicker but it would have taken more money and woodworking skills than I had the patience for, besides I wanted to use it in the bedroom so I thought a cushion would be the best solution.

Next, I set out to Joann's to find the perfect fabric match the bedding in our master bedroom. I settled on a French blue fabric with a hint of green.
I also purchased:
3 inch foam
Jute webbing (for extra support under the ruined canning)
Iron-on fabric interfacing,
Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Primer (white)
Rust-Oleum American Accents Satin Finish Spray in Espresso
Fine grit sand paper
Wood filler
 **The one thing that I didn't purchase is burlap to cover the webbing etc on the bottom so that it is not visible. This will be the next step when I get home.
-Then I was ready to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment